Barrasso accepting Military Academy nomination applications
by Senator Barrasso media release
March 11, 2009
(WASHINGTON) - U.S. Senator John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) announced that he is accepting applications for nominations to the U.S. military service academies for the 2010 school year. Senator Barrasso nominates up to ten people each year to each academy. Those nominated then compete for appointments to the Military, Naval, Air Force, and Merchant Marine academies.
"Nominating some of Wyoming’s best and brightest students to our nation’s military academies is one of the greatest privileges I have as a U.S. Senator," Barrasso said. "I strongly encourage all those students who are interested to apply."
Young men and women interested in U.S. service academies apply to members of Congress for nominations. Those nominated are screened by academy officials, and students with the best scholastic and personal credentials are selected for appointment.
The nominations are based on:
- Wyoming resident, 17-22 years of age
- Receipt of application form and all required information
- Academic record
- Results of Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) and/or American College Testing (ACT) scores
- Evaluation of leadership based on extracurricular activities, student offices held, awards, community service, etc.
- At least five letters of recommendation from various sources (school officials, coaches, community leaders)
Following a nomination, final selection and appointment is made by each service academy based on: character, scholarship, leadership, physical fitness, motivation, and suitability for a military career.
All required information should be received by the Senator’s office no later than November 30, 2009.
Those who are interested in obtaining a complete application packet, please contact Travis Deti in Senator Barrasso's Cheyenne office at:
2120 Capitol Avenue, Suite 2013
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001