Pinedale fireworks show has extra thrills
by Pinedale Online!
July 5, 2007
The Pinedale 4th of July fireworks show on Wednesday night had some extra “thrills” that weren’t intended with the holiday display. Near the end of the program, the last box containing fireworks went off inside the box and misfired at ground level instead of in the air as intended.
Sublette County Fire Board member Alvin Mitchell said no one was seriously injured, however one fireman was sent to the Pinedale Medical Clinic to have his eyes flushed. Mitchell was uncertain if the injury was due to gravel, dirt or powder in the fireman’s eyes.
“We don’t know what happened,” said Mitchell. “One of the fireworks went off inside the box and exploded at ground level. It gave us quite a thrill,” he said.
The ground-level display came from the box which was the last set of fireworks in the program for the night. The bright, low-level display left many spectators quite concerned for the safety of the firemen putting on the show. Mitchell said, “Everyone is ok.”
Also during the show, there was a small sagebrush fire ignited behind the ball fields due to the fireworks, however that was described as “minor”.