June 25, 2006
The 65th annual Bondurant Barbeque was held on Sunday, June 25th, at the St. Hubert the Hunter Church in Bondurant. The Bondurant Barbeque has been a community gathering tradition since 1941. Local ranchers donate two whole beef which are barbecued in an open pit behind the church. The BBQ is held after church services each year on the last Sunday in June.
The money raised helps to maintain the little log church, which was enrolled in the National Register of Historic Places on January 24, 2002. Money from the annual Bondurant BBQ also helps support the community hall and some local services.
Population for the town proper is officially about 100 people. The town has an elementary school for the kindergarten through fifth grades. Older students are bussed 43 miles to the middle and high schools in Pinedale. The town has a post office, but it is located several miles to the south of the actual town of Bondurant.
Photos by Dawn Ballou and Clint Gilchrist, Pinedale Online!
St. Hubert the Hunter Church